Pregnancy is a pre or post natal massage which helps an expecting mother into motherhood, by giving physical & emotional ease and plenty of benefits. This massage is also helpful after miscarriage or still birth to help your body recover.
To begin, one should select a well trained certified and experienced therapist at a professional, hygienic, well equipped centre, which is under a doctor’s supervision. A qualified experienced medical doctor should do initial consultation to mile out any contra indications to massage therapy.
Pre natal massage
A prenatal massage is a full body massage performed by a certified prenatal massage therapist that is similar to a Swedish massage except for a few modifications with body positioning that can ensure the safety and comfort for both mother and baby.
Benefits of Prenatal Massage
- It focuses on correcting pre existing problems like back pain, pelvic pain, neck or shoulder pain (that could worsen as the pregnancy progresses)
- Relief in sudden influx of Pregnancy hormones by balancing them.
- Healthy first trimester sets a good foundation for a healthy pregnancy, health of mother, baby and delivery.
- It helps to reduce back pain due to growing belly.
- It helps to strengthen back muscles to support rapidly enlarged uterus.
- It helps to reduce the strain on ligaments that support your uterus, and keeping them healthy to prevent uterine prolapse, urine incontinence, scar tissue etc.
- It relieves any stiff or painful areas.
- Induces better sleep control.
- It boosts the mood swings by releasing happy hormones.
- It relieves headache whether hormone related or due to muscle tension.
- Massage reduces chances of stretch marks as it lubricates skin giving elasticity.
- It supports circulation and blood flow for the both mother and baby.
Post Natal Massage
While you get busy in taking care of your baby, in the new excitement and process, you may ignore your own needs. Your body has undergone many changes in nine months. You need to give yourself extra time and attention to recover and rest from the added work you have put your body through. Massage is the right way to promote relaxation, pain and stress reduction therapy. Best period to do this massage is 12 weeks from giving birth.
(An experienced therapist will see to your comfort level, providing extra pillow support and adjusting your position on bed or a chair, as per your position on bed or chair, as per your body condition demands.)
- To overcome ‘baby blues’ like depression, psychosis ,mood swings anxiety ,loss of appetite
- To overcome stretch marks, muscle aches
- To overcome vascular problems like varicose veins due to increased pressure
- It improves sleep quality which is affected due to fatigue and anxiety
- Improved breastfeeding, massage can help in increased milk production by improving production of prolactin (lactation hormone)
- Massage helps in decreasing swelling which comes due to retention of fluids during pregnancy.
- Massage promotes lymphatic drainage
- Hormonal balance-During pregnancy body goes through many changes in hormonal levels. Massage therapy helps in balancing of those hormones which governs your mood like Dopamine, Serotonin, and Estrogen.
Conditions to rule out before starting Massage Therapy
- High Blood Pressure; massage increases blood flow.
- Any cardiac condition
- Recent surgery or injury.
Types of Post Natal/Prenatal Pregnancy Massage
- Swedish: It’s a massage done with long gentle rhythmic strokes, some pressure joints may be used to release blockages by the therapist.
- Deep Tissue: This can be combined with Swedish massage. Acupuncture points can be worked at by applying deeper thumb pressure on certain hands, get arms and legs as well as forehead.